Friday, August 21, 2009

Quilt Cake Update

I have learned some new information about the origination of the quilt squares! Like I said in the previous post, I was given the quilt squares by a dear family friend, Miss Ann. Well, Miss Ann has told me that the quilt squares were made my her mother in law, Miss Helen. I feel that I now need to call the quilt cakes, "Miss Helen's Quilt Cakes."

Miss Helen is a dear grandmother and I can't wait to finish one of these cakes for her. Over the years I have accumulated some of Miss Helen's treasures. I have costume jewelry, vintage hats that she wore in the '50's and '60's, a collection of buttons she saved from clothing that was worn out. This woman has contributed to much of my stock fabric and notions supplies! I am happy that her quilt squares are being used again!



I have just begun to embellish the cakes. Here is a small sampling. There are twenty two cakes in total. These photographs are taken in my studio at the Neville Public Museum. I am working in the museum on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Studio 210. Stop by and see me and "Miss Helen's Quilt Cakes."

2 comments:

Sarah E. Condon said...

Amazing work!! Love the concepts you are working with. I really need to get by the Neville and meet you!

Natalia Jaeger said...

This looks so wonderful Mindy! I wish I could drop by and say hi.