Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Would you like a giant Donut with your coffee?





I'll bring the donuts to the morning meeting! This is my newly finished piece from my residency at the Neville Public Museum. I have been experimenting with stitching around different forms. I tend to use a lot of fiber fill to stuff things and have been searching for new ways to create puffy confections. During one of my department store material search strolls, I came upon the summer section. Inflatables! Tubes, balls, those arm things you put on kids so their arms float... GLORIOUS! So now I have all these great inflatable forms that not only make great donuts, but also weigh a lot less than the stuffed forms! I am super excited to experiment more with this idea and have started to stitch over an enormous beach ball. More photos to come soon. Meanwhile, Homer Simpson, stay away from my Donut!

7 comments:

Christian and Sarah Cutler said...

LOVE the donut! Yum! How about a lemon filled one?

Natalia Jaeger said...

Oh how wonderful Mindy!!! This looks great :)

Amber Mann said...

What a great idea to use the inflatable in place of stuffing it! Does it have to be re-inflated from time to time?

Carolicious said...

Looks yummy..mhh..
What did you use for the sprinkles? Are they real?

millel26 said...

Beautimous!

Mother Goose and Gear said...

I am in love. what a fantastic idea!

Aligates said...

Not to be gross...but I keep thinking about those smaller donuts that they sell at the medical supply store, for people who, for whatever reason (I don't think I need say what) may not be able to sit down. Perhaps those were more in line with your digestive tract from several years ago. Regardless, I hope you've invested in a good pump so you don't turn blue putting up your next show. Also: what about stretch fabrics? Too smooth?